Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E36 318is Springs Options

E36 318is Springs Options

Coilovers vs lowering Springs argument number 6,679.

I'm a fan of coilovers personally and the V-maxx I had were only marginally different in comfort compared to the springs they replaced.the thing to keep in mind is if your bushes or other components are worn, coilovers will exaggerate the issue for the driver.

Sent via my Telegraph machine using morse code

RE: E36 318is Springs Options

Thanks lads.

I'm going to go with Springs I think. I'll have a look later and see if i can find out whats on them at the moment and go from there.

Ahh jaysus, can I do a thread delete please? I wanted to buy this one back. Best of luck with it

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Ahh jaysus, can I do a thread delete please? I wanted to buy this one back. Best of luck with it
    Haha. No and No!

This was yours before Neil yeah? I knew it was on the forum (driver) but didnt know who it was, still has the decals on it!

Neil must've put the decals on it. What's the mileage at today? Condition good? Yeah I sold it to Neil after many painstaking hours of tidying up. Keep us posted on progress

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Neil must've put the decals on it. What's the mileage at today? Condition good? Yeah I sold it to Neil after many painstaking hours of tidying up. Keep us posted on progress
    Just went over 165k. Yeah its in good nick, other than some spots of rust. Was in with Gary on wednesday ang he gave it the all clear so should be fine for nct week after next.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Very nice car OP, wish you the best with it. Get your mechanicals sorted first like wishbones, bushes, ball joints, RTAB's LCAB's etc etc before spending any money on further lowering modifications IMO. If your still on standard OE shocks with the current lowering spring then there are the possibilities the shocks are going to be pretty worn and fitting new lowering springs to them will knacker them out even quicker.

Bear in mind that when doing lowering springs if they have not recently been changed or documented as being changed then you should ideally replace your top mounts also as you will be removing the front shocks to install new springs and the rear shocks are easily removed with the most time being taken getting to them. So consider factoring in the cost of new front and rear top mounts when doing the swap. Again something small but whilst you are at the front and rear shocks install some M3 front reinforcement plates and Z3 rear reinforcement plates to help spread the load on the shock towers, this is preventative maintenance and well worth doing whilst everything is out.

I too have an E36 318is and it started out life on standard msport suspension, I then installed a used Eibach Pro Damper and Pro spring kit which I rolled around on for about 3 months. It was comfortable but offered a marginal drop over the msport suspension. I then moved to a new set of JOM coilovers which IMO (for a budget coilover kit) were excellent and very comfortable. I drove on the JOM's for just over a year with no issues. They were then swapped out for a used but great condition set of HSD Mono Pro coilovers which I found too harsh. The end result was a set of BC Racing fully adjustable coilovers and I have not looked back since.

The BC's were a big outlay but they are very comfortable and offer 30 way damping adjustability, come with adjustable camber front top mounts and static rear top mounts, new drop links and the height can be altered very easily. I have recently bought an E36 318i Msport touring and would like to go the BC route again but I want to keep it as close to OE as possible so in this case I have opted for a set of H&R lowering springs and am very much looking forward to trying them out. If you can hold out about 10 days or so I should have them in and can give you some feed back on them when I update the thread. If you would like to have a chat with me about anything just drop me a PM with your number and I shall call you to see if I can be of help.

I demand to see a thread on the E36

Hope this helps,

Quote Originally Posted by Super4
    Very nice car OP, wish you the best with it. Get your mechanicals sorted first like wishbones, bushes, ball joints, RTAB's LCAB's etc etc before spending any money on further lowering modifications IMO. If your still on standard OE shocks with the current lowering spring then there are the possibilities the shocks are going to be pretty worn and fitting new lowering springs to them will knacker them out even quicker.

Bear in mind that when doing lowering springs if they have not recently been changed or documented as being changed then you should ideally replace your top mounts also as you will be removing the front shocks to install new springs and the rear shocks are easily removed with the most time being taken getting to them. So consider factoring in the cost of new front and rear top mounts when doing the swap. Again something small but whilst you are at the front and rear shocks install some M3 front reinforcement plates and Z3 rear reinforcement plates to help spread the load on the shock towers, this is preventative maintenance and well worth doing whilst everything is out.

I too have an E36 318is and it started out life on standard msport suspension, I then installed a used Eibach Pro Damper and Pro spring kit which I rolled around on for about 3 months. It was comfortable but offered a marginal drop over the msport suspension. I then moved to a new set of JOM coilovers which IMO (for a budget coilover kit) were excellent and very comfortable. I drove on the JOM's for just over a year with no issues. They were then swapped out for a used but great condition set of HSD Mono Pro coilovers which I found too harsh. The end result was a set of BC Racing fully adjustable coilovers and I have not looked back since.

The BC's were a big outlay but they are very comfortable and offer 30 way damping adjustability, come with adjustable camber front top mounts and static rear top mounts, new drop links and the height can be altered very easily. I have recently bought an E36 318i Msport touring and would like to go the BC route again but I want to keep it as close to OE as possible so in this case I have opted for a set of H&R lowering springs and am very much looking forward to trying them out. If you can hold out about 10 days or so I should have them in and can give you some feed back on them when I update the thread. If you would like to have a chat with me about anything just drop me a PM with your number and I shall call you to see if I can be of help.

I demand to see a thread on the E36

Hope this helps,
    Thanks very much for the detailed feedback. It will be a few weeks anyway before I do anything with the springs as dont have time will be good to get feedback on the h&r.

Ill be cleaning her up next weekend so will throw some together and put a thread up.

A note on the gearstick. I replaced all bushes, got a new boot and new weighted gearknob from BMW. Its a world of difference and I would recommend anyone getting it done. Car shifts so much better now and makes for a more pleasant drive.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Your more than welcome, I shall keep the touring thread updated when they arrive. The shifter refresh is a big difference indeed . Enjoy!.

E36 318is Springs Options

I had ProKit springs on mine, way better than stock but then I put Jom coilovers on and they are not only more comfortable than you would think but are the best value suspension out there IMO. Had them on a year or so now and love the ride height adjustability, mine is just where I want her now..
    With all you've done with the gear linkage refresh, top it off with a z3 shift lever, fits perfect, shortens the throw by about 30%, it's an OEM mod and above all it's cheap! I got my Joms and z3 lever from Cab at Super4 btw..