Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E60 m5

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E60 m5

Vanos and clutches would be the least of my worries on an unwarranted one of these, it's their supposed propensity to eat their shells for breakfast, and with little notification, that would scare the bejesus out of me. I know these can be swapped as a preventative measure, probably for a couple of grand, but I've heard that even that doesn't eradicate the risk fully. And anyway, how many owners have had that work done anyway out of warranty?

No-one seems to keep these too long, and I wouldn't want to be the one who gets left holding the parcel when the music stops. What does a V10 rebuild cost these days? As Michael says there is no such thing as a budget supercar, and this is the one M-car I wouldn't fancy without that warranty

Best of luck finding one but whatever you do don't rush into buying one in the UK unless it has been thoroughly inspected by someone who knows what to look for, I spent almost a year looking for one that ticked all the boxes and I was conscious of all the costs that could arise and made sure I went over mine with fine comb, I too would keep both Michael & Leins's posts in mind...

I drive mine M5 daily for about 8-9months of the year and take her off the road for the winter, but in the space of a few months you can rack up some huge bills, for instance I had to replace a clutch position sensor, a front OEM rim (due to a crack) upon fitting new tyres, and a full service, oils, plugs, filters brake fluid in the last 5 months... and I dont care to add up what that cost me right now :-( ... and that was me doing all the work myself (in my dads workshop)

So my tupence worth would be patient and go in with your eyes open, but its all worth if for the sweet sound of the v10 at full tilt :-D

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Cbarry
    Quote Originally Posted by michael320
    20k wont get much in the UK when you factor in exchange rate and VRT.
    Are you so sure ? Do you think I haven't allowed for that?i have a choice of cars that I will have in and on Irish plates for In and around 20 k definitely less than 21k I've my figures done are cars sourced.

I'm on holidays this week back in Ireland Monday if nothing comes up for sale in Ireland by then I've no problem sending deposit to England and getting friend to view cars for over there.
    Hi there welcome along

It's impossible at today's stg rate to bring a proper low mile M5 home for 21k

BMW warranty on a 06 with 50k miles costs circa €90pcm and it increases rapidly when the miles go up a E60 M5 with 100k miles could cost more than you paid for the car to keep it running

these cars should not be owned without BMW warranty even the best minded ones can leave you with huge bills!! There is a thread on here for Moes M5 It had a great deal of warranty work done over his ownership and it was meticulously maintained mechanically and in near perfect condition cosmetically.

FYI there should be a 2006 space grey 1 with 64klms coming online shortly (unless it's exported) a trade friend had bid on it a week or so ago but it was more than your 21k at trade
    good luck anyhow my man

BMWHaus Guru

Go in with your eyes wide open & your wallet bulging! I picked up a 48k mile M6 in February, ive done 4k miles in it but there has been >€20k gone in to the car that doesn't include any of the costs such as the purchase price, insurance, tax, fuel, tyres, etc. Thankfully €16k of that was covered by the warranty.
    There's no such thing as cheap with a v10!
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

I think its fair to say I probably drove a e60 m5 for longer than most, 3.5 years of glorious motoring. I waited to get mine in 2011, I drove loads of them and then one came up with low milage 30k 2006 and a bmw warranty. I extended the warranty after it expired. Baught it for 30k of Frank Keane, was a good time in the recession, they are appreciating these days. Sold it for 20k so only 3k depreciation a year.

Fantastic Car, geat to drive and very comfortable and practical. However the number of issues was large. Not counting service work (around 2k a year) there was around 20k in warranty work done. Talking to other owners mine was a reliable one. It takes a long time to get a feel for this car and its various rattles and noises.

After I sold mine, in perfect OEM condition, it was sold and immediatly modified voiding the warranty and any hope of getting one in the future. Its only time till its in a breakers yard due to uneconomical repair costs, having had 25 additional owners in 25 months.(its changed hands 5 times so far)

Hard to get a good one. You will pay for one and a lot of chaps are waiting for them. The only thing more expensive than a good one is a bad one. Lads get cocky that they have 25k to spend on a a car and can get insurances and afford the tax....dont fool yourself, even the lads that bought the m5 new found it a financial burden. These threads pop up all the time and are usually followed by a for sale thread in about 3 months. I downgraded to a 50k car and it feels like practically free motoring in comparison.

Find a good one and enjoy it. Good luck