Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No. for HealyC?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: No. for HealyC?

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    They've no oil issues that I'm aware of plenty of other issues though
    Ah yes! Your mrs has one... Review vs a 318is please and is it mad to consider one

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Ah yes! Your mrs has one... Review vs a 318is please and is it mad to consider one
    Can't really Give a back to back review as the e36 Is gone almost 5 years but from memory e36 was rawer it was more solid a little louder inside a little heavier power wise the same if I'm honest e46 feels a little nippier could be my imagination as on paper I think they are almost equal m44 was wayyyyyy more reliable then n42 but when it's not in the garage I do quite enjoy driving it overtakes with ease it's very precise and chuckable very effortless to drive too compared to the e39

Would I buy one myself honestly no with the 2.5 though it would be a lovely car a facelift 325ci would be the one for me yes the 330i is faster and the 318 May be cheaper but the 325 is slap bang were I'd want to be enough power for day to day grind lovely sound from the engine and tiny difference in running costs

BMWHaus Guru

Can't really Give a back to back review as the e36 Is gone almost 5 years but from memory e36 was rawer it was more solid a little louder inside a little heavier power wise the same if I'm honest e46 feels a little nippier could be my imagination as on paper I think they are almost equal m44 was wayyyyyy more reliable then n42 but when it's not in the garage I do quite enjoy driving it overtakes with ease it's very precise and chuckable very effortless to drive too compared to the e39

Would I buy one myself honestly no with the 2.5 though it would be a lovely car a facelift 325ci would be the one for me yes the 330i is faster and the 318 May be cheaper but the 325 is slap bang were I'd want to be enough power for day to day grind lovely sound from the engine and tiny difference in running costs
    Excellent, see the reason I was thinking of the 2.2 is cause it's the same diff ratio (3.38) as a 318ci but obviously more power, 6 cylinder sound track, and I guess the M54 would be more reliable than the n42 as well?

The 330's power feels wasted with the 2.93 ratio, BUT it comes with a 6 speed, so you could afford to go for something like a 3.46 ratio and it wouldn't lose it's ability to cruise with the 6th gear. Whereas the 325 neither benefits from the quick ratio diff nor the 6th gear if you were to fit a different ratio diff in if you get me?

No question a 325 is a lovely car, just trying to think what would suit me best

Edit: Absolutely get what you mean about the e36 being more raw, they're full of feel, best thing about em!

Also agree, E46 facelifts all the way, not a fan of the pre-facelift at all to be honest.

Excellent, see the reason I was thinking of the 2.2 is cause it's the same diff ratio (3.38) as a 318ci but obviously more power, 6 cylinder sound track, and I guess the M54 would be more reliable than the n42 as well?

The 330's power feels wasted with the 2.93 ratio, BUT it comes with a 6 speed, so you could afford to go for something like a 3.46 ratio and it wouldn't lose it's ability to cruise with the 6th gear. Whereas the 325 neither benefits from the quick ratio diff nor the 6th gear if you were to fit a different ratio diff in if you get me?

No question a 325 is a lovely car, just trying to think what would suit me best

Edit: Absolutely get what you mean about the e36 being more raw, they're full of feel, best thing about em!

Also agree, E46 facelifts all the way, not a fan of the pre-facelift at all to be honest.
    Your getting too hung up on the small stuff Peter just change the diff I fit the auto diff to mine 3.46 I think must check my thread wasn't a huge difference was 3.15 standard just go and test drive both see what takes your fancy the more restricted the m54 gets the less happy I'd be with it the 3.0 is the one to have and how bmw intended its the one that won all the awards dropping down to b25 Your more restricted and making sacrifices drop down again to 2.2 and it's even more restricted again

None are bad so whatever floats your boat I'd say iv booked you in for a further 15 pages on this thread to discuss car options let me know if you need more

BMWHaus Guru

Haha, those were just my conclusions after driving different ones, only one I haven't driven is the 2.2 .

Small stuff makes all the difference I do find the diff ratios make a pretty big difference though. It's a learning curve for me anyway, I've been chasing "the perfect car setup" for ages, learned a lot with the e36, and some more with the e92, but I think I'll always be chasing it with non-M models until I can finally buy and run the right M.

Since M cars don't have the long diff or steering ratio and generally you don't need to do anything to them but are $$$$$$$ BMW should save us the hassle of trying to improve standard models by making entry level 1/2/3/4 series petrols and diesels, ya know 316/318/320 i/d - then a sort of lightweight "Mini M" with absolutely no unnecessary equipment to save on cost and weight, say no more than 250 bhp, and an LSD (they could call them ///F for "Fun" ) - then the big engined autobahn mile munchers, then M3/M4 etc

It certainly wouldn't deter people who want the big power and kit from buying the "full M version"... And they could continue the horsepower war with Audi and Mercedes to their heart's content ....Why not?

M135/235i weren't exactly cheap compared to full fat Ms and M2 certainly won't be filling that gap either, just a thought...

Maybe I just have too much time on my hands these days