Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BMW Dealership Rant

BMWHaus Guru

RE: BMW Dealership Rant

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    ....The dealer could have turned this into a positive thread by proving the OP wrong and carrying out the work promptly and efficiently.
    Therein lies the key, methinks. If the dealer had spent their most recent opportunity trying to put it right with the OP rather than "chastising" him then I'm sure he would have been good enough to have come back on and correct the record in terms of his experience. The tally is now 3 missed opportunities to make a positive impression.

I work in a service function, IT, with a couple of thousand internal customers. Of course things go wrong from time to time. That's inevitable but when my team or I mess up (and sometimes when we don't but it seems like we did) our first duty is to try to find a solution, either to the original problem or the mess we made. Our second duty is to try and fix the relationship with the customer through understanding why the problem happened, how we (collectively) will try to avoid repeating the error, with this or another customer, and explaining both the cause and the remedial actions to the customer.

To my mind that is the greatest failing with the dealer in this episode. They have had multiple opportunities to recover the situation and the goodwill and not taken them.

BMWHaus Contributor

So I'm booked in for 3pm again next Monday. Three visits for one fecking bulb, and about 4hrs+ of waiting around like a lemon!

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was 3 visits for 2 bulbs?

No mater what the computer said it would have been quicker to get the part from the shelf before stripping the light the OP would have been out the door in 10 minutes and a lot less cross

But tbh getting anything replaced free on a 10yr old car is fairly decent imho

Don't offer a service if you can't fulfill it. Doesn't matter that it was free really, they still messed up. People's time is important.

Despite all that, everyone makes mistakes, it is how you react to them imo. Missed a good opportunity here and burnt bridges all round. Could have just have easy got in touch to say "Really sorry about that Mossy, this free offer has us very busy, why don't you call in tomorrow and we will get it sorted" then give a voucher for 20% off next parts order and a free valet or something.

Chance to keep them as a customer and spin the whole thing around. Might have even had him recommending them despite the initial issues. No chance now and you can be sure he will be telling others to avoid on his personal experience.

BMWHaus Contributor

The name of the dealer is gone now before I read this post so I cant be sure who you were talking about but I went to Murphy and Gunn on Monday which was the last day of the campaign with no appointment. I had a blown brakelight bulb in my 2001 E38 728i which will never see the inside of a main dealer workshop again unless I win the lotto. Not only did they change my bulb immediately but they also took out the assembly and adjusted it due to corrosion and advised me that while they dont recommend replacing it now that it would likely need replacing when it goes again.

While I waited I wandered around the showroom, talked with the friendly parts staff and helped myself to a Capri Sun. Now I have history with Murphy & Gunn as I do with Frank Keane's but I cant imagine that most customers would be treated any differently.

Ok so you were delayed in the showroom and you had to call back a couple of times. I understand it is frustrating but I am sure the staff were apologetic and friendly. If I am wrong please say so.

As for you being given the impression that you werent welcome back unless you were spending money, try and remember that A: They were probably a bit sore from you badmouthing them online and B: Its a business, they really only want you there if you are spending money and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport

BMWHaus Guru

I think it's a bit unfair to have a go at the OP for posting this. I certainly understand the concern about naming and shaming but in fairness it's a BMW forum and it's what it's for. We all have opinions and are entitled to them. I'd hate to see this place turn into one of those american boards where people ask for help or voice and opinion and get shot down. To me that's going against the point of a forum. For the case in hand - where was the service manager? Should they not be doing their job?

Just to put things in perspective, my previous car was a 2008 520d msport that was recalled for the timing chain. I read about other members experiences and mine fell short. After having had the work carried out I got no written confirmation that it was done. It took me 3 months to obtain it in writing, after getting BMW Ireland involved after a complaint.

The car didnt drive the same afterwards, it didnt sound the same and it didnt idle the same. Naturally I was suspicious of what work was done or not done. Following this, there was oil in the coolant reservoir that wasn't there beforehand. Eyebrows raised.

After this, I swore I would never be back in there to get work done on my car. The free bulb replacement campaign seemed pretty simple to me.

As other members have said; no appointment, called in, bulb changed within 20-30mins, and on the road again. My experience fell short.

Yes it was a free service, but my time is not any less important than a BMW mechanics who charge circa €60/hr.

When in the office being scolded for being a bold boy I told him that if he wanted to make me happy to throw me a new set of mats and we'll move on. He said that wasn't really an option that they were considering.

Everybody is allowed their opinion. I'm glad that some people agree with me.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhennebry
    Yes it was a free service, but my time is not any less important than a BMW mechanics who charge circa €60/hr.
    If this main dealer is charging €60 an hour, you might want to go back and try and make up with them :wink:

BMWHaus Contributor

sorry my man but you were absolutely dreaming if you thought they would give you a free set of mats and in asking for them I think you let yourself down a bagful if you had asked for a discount on parts or labour in the future showing that you will be back through the door again you might have got somewhere

Business is business. Doesn't matter if you're in service or manufacturing, independent or multinational. You decide how to handle communication, and you get the results, be they approval or disapproval.

Different demographics and customer types will accept different levels of service. If you're a smaller business with a great service at the right price, some people will accept a lack of solicitous attention, and others will pay your competitor more for the same work if they give them the type of experience they're looking for.

And if you're a BMW main dealer, some people will expect and even demand a particular level of service, even for a free offer. And if you want to maintain the premium reputation of the brand, you should deliver it.

On that note...can this thread be locked?