Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why you shouldn't have welded diffs on a daily

BMWHaus Contributor
    Its a long positive camber corner that suddenly changes to 0 camber at the peak of the hill, just as it tightens slightly, which would unsettle the back of any car if travelling at speed (which this lad is). If there was an lsd in the car and the back end stepped out, how would the outcome be any different? Im agreeing with Ford 2 on this one.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
    Its a long positive camber corner that suddenly changes to 0 camber at the peak of the hill, just as it tightens slightly, which would unsettle the back of any car if travelling at speed (which this lad is). If there was an lsd in the car and the back end stepped out, how would the outcome be any different? Im agreeing with Ford 2 on this one.
    He didn't say LSD he said open diff.
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......

BMWHaus Contributor
    Driver inexperience. Drive hard enough around a corner with those characteristics and the back end of the car is going to step out. How would the outcome be different if he had an lsd though? I don't think it would have ended any differently. If there was an open diff in it he would have ended up snapping left and going off the bridge on the left hand side.

BMWHaus Guru
    Because the two rear wheels would be spinning at different speeds.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
    Driver inexperience. Drive hard enough around a corner with those characteristics and the back end of the car is going to step out. How would the outcome be different if he had an lsd though? I don't think it would have ended any differently. If there was an open diff in it he would have ended up snapping left and going off the bridge on the left hand side.
    The car in front normally comes with an lsd and that got around the bend, also there didn't appear to be a pile of cars with open diffs wrecked on the same bend so I'd agree with the comment on driver inexperience bit but I don't think anyone could say the welder was helping him in any way.
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......

BMWHaus Contributor
    never even suggested a welded diff would have helped.