Thread: Advice on dealing with Insurance/Assessor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Advice on dealing with Insurance/Assessor

Quote Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
    Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here, hope you've all been keeping well. I need your advice on dealing with insurance companies and/or insurance assessors.

Last night a drunk driver (my neighbour!) plowed into my car that was parked outside the house. No one was hurt and most importantly, none of the kids were outside playing at the time. I keep telling myself it's only a car and the main thing is that no one was hurt but I'm gutted.

Anyway, aside from all that. Never had to deal with these types of people before and I'm looking for tips on how to deal with them. As the other driver is in the wrong, his insurance company (Aviva) is going to try and minimise their liability by shafting me I guess.

Am I entitled to have it repaired by a BMW dealer?

If it's written off, what should I do now to build my case to establish the cars true worth?

Anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks,

Mackie
    Sorry to hear that, glad no one was injured though.

The most important thing to bear in mind is that your neighbour damaged your car, not his insurance company. He has mitigated his risk through an insurance company. You have no contract or relationship with them and therefore are not obligated to do what they want.

So, to answer your first question, yes you can choose where you want to get it repaired. It's your car after all.

Secondly, the assessor will try to offer you the lowest trade in price that you would receive if you sold your car. However, if it is written off you need to buy a car to replace it. The best thing you can do is to find examples of the same (or as similar as possible) car for sale in Ireland or in the UK with the VRT calculations printed off too. Use that info as the basis for the amount you claim.

If the assessor tries to strong arm you to accept an offer you're not happy with be prepared to pass it over to a solicitor, and make sure to let them know as this is likely to increase their total cost to resolve the claim.

Good luck with it all though.
    Last edited by JohnH; 14-05-16 at 08:09.