Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
Long story short, there is a possibility that I may end up relocating (quite far) outside of the capital in the near future. I'd still be working from Dublin, so this would mean about a 2 hour commute (each way), but I'd be hopeful this could be supplemented by at least a couple of days a week working from home, which seems a more likely prospect now given the last 6 months we've had with Covid.

Anyway, I had been holding out for some time that my next daily driver would be an M car of some sort, but I assume a commute like this throws that idea out the window.

Realistically would I be right to say that a big frugal diesel is still really the only way to go with a commute like this, or has fuel economy on petrol cars improved in recent years to the point that it could still be feasible with a somewhat performance oriented petrol car? Does anyone have any suggestions for a car that might tick both the economy and performance boxes?

I've worked and lived in Dublin my whole life so never had to really consider this before, so apologies if these are silly questions!
Before the lock down I was commuting from Kilkenny to Dublin three days a week, I've been doing it for about 3 years or so since moving back from Dublin. Train doesnt suit due to times, and as I work in Citywest its far quicker to drive. I would crack up being on a crowded train everyday anyway. Its a lot to take on but as I'm originally from Kilkenny and like the country its a prices worth paying for me.

I left early, around 5:40 or so to be in the office for 7am and left the office at 3.30 to avoid traffic. I did around 70k km in the M135i that Curran now has, initially it was fine in the M135i but I found the way it handled on the motorway was tiring due to its short wheelbase, fuel consumption was really good on it (tiny tank though!). It averaged around 35mpg over 70k km I think.

I purchased a 5 series at the end of last year, just wanted something that was quiet and not as tiring to drive. The 5 is fine on juice although coming from the M135i seriously lacking in power, in saying that you dont need power when munching motorway miles. It does around 40mpg, its comfortable albeit a bit boring come the weekends. Something like a 540i so might suit you depending on budget, they make 100bhp more than the F10 530d with the MPPSK and sound good too.

The irony though, I haven't been in the office in seven months now! Totally WFH now and I cant see that changing. Eyeing up a possible change again!