Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
Fair points Ken, but you could argue that its an impediment to an open market in cars within the EU (although, I think I may have been inaccurate in saying we're a complete outlier, Malta is also a RHD market within the EU). While cars can, in theory, be moved between countries within the EU, as per Eamo's comment above, in practice its an obstacle.
You can't really, LHD cars are perfectly legal here - just not practical, there are no obstacles to purchasing or registering them.

Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
Its probably fair to say that total sales volume in RHD markets is a fraction of LHD volume (globally, and in EU), so it likely also adds development and production cost to RHD cars.
One third I think - but two of the most popular brands in Ireland - Toyota and Hyundai - are from RHD countries, so unless all countries globally agree to drive on the same side of the road as I said above, a development cost will always exist.

I know Sweden did this 50 years ago, but the world is pretty different these days. Most Irish drivers can't tell the difference between the driving lane and overtaking lane, so expecting them to not only learn how to drive on the opposite side of the road, but also learn to switch back to the other side when crossing into NI is just a horrible idea.