Thread: Mechanic with coding tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Looks like the car has an AGM battery. Factory one. Which makes no sense since the car is not start/stop. And this needs to be coded apparently. Where's a good place to buy agm battery in Dublin except dealers of course

BMWHaus Guru

Mechanic with coding tool

Quote Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
    Looks like the car has an AGM battery. Factory one. Which makes no sense since the car is not start/stop. And this needs to be coded apparently. Where's a good place to buy agm battery in Dublin except dealers of course
    If it’s not Stop/Start then you should just get a normal battery and code it.

Edit: apparently AGM batteries were also fitted to cars without stop/start function too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 318 iS Cosmos; 03-01-19 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos View Post
    If it’s not Stop/Start then you should just get a normal battery and code it.

Edit: apparently AGM batteries were also fitted to cars without stop/start function too.

I know that a normal non-AGM will work too but apparently the actual car software needs to be updated to accept non AGM battery since it had one from the factory (different from just resetting the error when the battery is replaced). Does that sound right?

BMWHaus Guru
    I know that a normal non-AGM will work too but apparently the actual car software needs to be updated to accept non AGM battery since it had one from the factory (different from just resetting the error when the battery is replaced). Does that sound right?
    That's correct, but it's just an additional step in the coding. Either way, the car still has to be hooked up and registered and/or coded.

BMWHaus Guru
    The duty cycle in BMWs from the mid ‘00s are very heavy and BMW slowly made the move to AGM batteries in order to find a better way to handle that. The other problem they didn’t solve was the “unfavourable driving profile” rubbish. Irrespective of whether the car has a Lead Acid or Absorbed Glass Mat battery if the car is only driven short journeys there is not of a recovery charge to bring the battery back up to where it was. Over time the battery gets weak as a result.

If you are replacing a like for like battery, i.e. the same Ah rating and AGM for AGM then the battery only needs to be registered.

If you change the Ah rating or move from AGM to Lead Acid them you need to code the CAS (VO Code CAS/LMA first then “Default Code” the CAS). This is so the correct charging profile is applied to your new battery.

I hope you are doing well SD_Dracula, I think it was 7-8 years ago since I saw you last? I’m still thinking back to the cruise control on that 1 Series back then, I should have just VO coded in cruise control & default coded the replacement unit and it would have worked! I was too chicken back then!
    Last edited by rebel.ranter; 04-01-19 at 12:55.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    The duty cycle in BMWs from the mid ‘00 are very heavy and BMW slowly made the move to AGM batteries in order to find a better way to handle that. The other problem they didn’t solve was the “unfavourable driving profile” rubbish. Irrespective of whether the car has a Lead Acid or Absorbed Glass Mat battery if the car is only driven short journeys there is not of a recovery charge to bring the battery back up to where it was. Over time the battery gets weak as a result.

If you are replacing a like for like battery, i.e. the same Ah rating and AGM for AGM then the battery only needs to be registered.

If you change the Ah rating or move from AGM to Lead Acid them you need to code the CAS (VO Code CAS/LMa and Default code the CAS). This is so the correct charging profile is applied to your new battery.

I hope you are doing we’ll SD_Dracula, I think it was 7-8 years ago since I saw you last? I’m still thinking back to the cruise control on that 1 Series back them, I should have just VO coded in cruise control & default coded it and it would have worked! I was too chicken back then!
    That's all pretty straightforward to do on the CarlyApp, right? Might pick your brain later about some coding on the e60

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos View Post
    That's all pretty straightforward to do on the CarlyApp, right? Might pick your brain later about some coding on the e60
    I didn’t realise that Carly had the ability to update to a different type/rating of battery, just checked there and surprised to see it does now. Great!

Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    The duty cycle in BMWs from the mid ‘00s are very heavy and BMW slowly made the move to AGM batteries in order to find a better way to handle that. The other problem they didn’t solve was the “unfavourable driving profile” rubbish. Irrespective of whether the car has a Lead Acid or Absorbed Glass Mat battery if the car is only driven short journeys there is not of a recovery charge to bring the battery back up to where it was. Over time the battery gets weak as a result.

If you change the Ah rating or move from AGM to Lead Acid them you need to code the CAS (VO Code CAS/LMA first then “Default Code” the CAS). This is so the correct charging profile is applied to your new battery.

I hope you are doing well SD_Dracula, I think it was 7-8 years ago since I saw you last? I’m still thinking back to the cruise control on that 1 Series back then, I should have just VO coded in cruise control & default coded the replacement unit and it would have worked! I was too chicken back then!
    Wow, that long? That cruise control thing never worked in the end, brought the car to Bloomfield and they hooked up one of the proper tools to it, enabled everything but just didn't take, the steering wheel unit might have been the fault.
    Still got that 630i?
    In the end replaced the battery with a new AGM one from Frank Keane (actually surprised that it came in cheaper than 3rd party battery) and got it coded by a garage that did an oil change also.