The answer is no, and exciting diesel does not exist. I have had a 420d....great MPG, plenty speed plenty fast but not exciting at all. 640d, plenty fast, pretty poor MPG (real world 26 mpg as opposed to the claimed 50 ish). The speed was there but again the excitement was not.

The thing is excitement is not a function of the speed, its sound, responsiveness, urgency, gearing, ability to rev high, and the setup of the steering and suspension. You cannot tune an engine for economy but still maintain the cars will to take off suddenly. Gearing is a major player also. My 640d had 8 gears and just seemed to want to get you into gear 7 or 8 as fast as possible, each gear only lasted a second at WOT. I had a 911 that could go from 0-120kph in second gear....not that was fun and loud.

Honestly electric cars are the closest to exciting economy there is...I have not driven one (hybrids yes) but a number of reviewers are not impressed with acceleration and are left cold by them.

You could be dead tomorrow, get the car you want and enjoy life. 700 mile of boredom from a tank is depressing. No point in one crap car and one good one...you will always take the good one.