Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R53 Cooper s ?

Bought an r53 cooper s for the wife about 18 months ago. MPG is shocking for a small car - currently averaging 15.2lt/100km (around 18mpg). Luckily it only does around 5k km a year. Currently has 119k km on the clock and the only problems we've had are broken exhaust box hanger and a cracked flexipipe (below the manifold) - both welded by Souhans in Trim for €80. The kids (5 & 6) absolutely love it

BMWHaus Guru
    Bad one for a few weeks. Great car to go. Wish it had a lsd. Exhaust handed and front ball joints are a week point alright
    As said power steering pump is a big item make sure it's 110%

Mpg wise I'd get 120 for 20€ but that was babying it and petrol was under 1.20. Once your on a back road tho they make up for been thirsty with how fun they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missed out on that one I linked ,, got there and someone was just pulling back in from a test drive and bought it. The guy reckons he's getting in another early this week so will wait and see while still looking.

Test drove one of these today, clutch was seriously heavy , more than a racing clutch in my mirage. Was kind of shocked! Normal?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mivecrx View Post
    Test drove one of these today, clutch was seriously heavy , more than a racing clutch in my mirage. Was kind of shocked! Normal?

The Cooper S has a significantly heavier clutch than the regular Cooper. Noticeably heavier than you'd expect for a small car.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    The Cooper S has a significantly heavier clutch than the regular Cooper. Noticeably heavier than you'd expect for a small car.
    It was quite a shock, clutch worked perfect just heavy. The steering had a slight whine, only noticeable when turning at idle or low speed. Was the kind of whine you hear from all cars with electric power steering. Overall was a nice car, few marks but drove perfect. Car was that white/cream colour so holding out for a nicer colour.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    clutch on the way out if its heavy ,once its perfect its very easy
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

Had an interesting experience with the R53 yesterday - key fob stopped working out of the blue - worked fine locking up the car, watched a hurling match and after the fob appeared dead. Very inconvenient!! Got home read about how the later R53's had a key fob with a rechargeable battery (done via induction while driving) but I reasoned it couldn't be that as it stopped all of a sudden with zero warning (at least I was hoping given a replacement key fob is ~€155). Then I read about resetting the fob with the alarm - tried it and it worked - can't understand how it 'unset' itself in the first place when the keys were sitting in my pocket during the match. Weird but at least an easy solution.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by soc View Post
    Had an interesting experience with the R53 yesterday - key fob stopped working out of the blue - worked fine locking up the car, watched a hurling match and after the fob appeared dead. Very inconvenient!! Got home read about how the later R53's had a key fob with a rechargeable battery (done via induction while driving) but I reasoned it couldn't be that as it stopped all of a sudden with zero warning (at least I was hoping given a replacement key fob is ~€155). Then I read about resetting the fob with the alarm - tried it and it worked - can't understand how it 'unset' itself in the first place when the keys were sitting in my pocket during the match. Weird but at least an easy solution.
    The R53 key has a replaceable battery so it might be worth replacing that given the incident you had, it might be a contributor....

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    The R53 key has a replaceable battery so it might be worth replacing that given the incident you had, it might be a contributor....
    Yeah if battery voltage is dipping could clear the memory