Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Hatch recommendations.

BMWHaus Guru
    Which Mini Cooper S are you thinking about? Fuel economy on the R53 isn’t great, in fact, the M4 is more economical.

BMWHaus Guru
    If you go the hot hatch route then "state of the art" should be where you're looking and in that price range I would guess that the place to be looking will be badged Renault Sport or Ford ST. There should be a decent few options in your price range.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
    Which Mini Cooper S are you thinking about? Fuel economy on the R53 isn’t great, in fact, the M4 is more economical.
    You reminded me of Mr46 and myself taking her R53 Cooper s to Dublin from Letterkenny to see Guns & Roses think it was summer 05 I drove up fairly quick but had a few so she drove back and was done doing 118 kph outside Monaghan we literally made it to the 24 hour station in Lifford on fumes :-)

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks for the replies it's good for thought, I'm leaning towards petrol as opposed to diesel.

Had a chat with a friend re Cooper and decided to scratch that option from my potential list.

The golf GTI did come up in my searches also, the 4 door option is appealing re kids seats when required.

Did come across this on DD which I think is lovely, somewhat rare and should be a bit of fun to drive, it's beyond what I am willing to spend at the moment
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...s-200/23687390

Sent from my TRT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

R53 Cooper S JCW - best car ever for the city - comes with compromises - space in the back is tight, boot is non-existent, crappy mpg, rattles on bad roads to name a few - but it is fairly rapid, sounds glorious and seriously fun to drive at all speeds which makes up for all the negatives.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by alan b View Post
    would you not step up a size and go for a megane 225?
    This Megane 225 would be a riot and well below budget - 5 door practicality and crucially with plenty of work done recently too...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...k-tec/23878520
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Guru
    Why does it have to be a hot hatch? Would it not be better to buy something relatively normal and the savings can go towards the M in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos View Post
    Why does it have to be a hot hatch? Would it not be better to buy something relatively normal and the savings can go towards the M in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be honest the M will be on the road for the summer months, the range rover while extremely comfortable is pretty mundane driving.

Was thinking a hot hatch with reasonable performance will be fun to drive. The drive home from Dublin in the M3 was a hoot, and got me thinking of something fun and totally impractical for daily duties.

Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    This Megane 225 would be a riot and well below budget - 5 door practicality and crucially with plenty of work done recently too...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...k-tec/23878520
    Alan actually sent me this link earlier, looks interesting, not sure all the mods would be up my street, but looks like it would be fun to drive, nice price point too!!

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillipepper View Post
    Alan actually sent me this link earlier, looks interesting, not sure all the mods would be up my street, but looks like it would be fun to drive, nice price point too!!

I know the second owner of that car, he is from around this neck of the woods too. It's been through a few hands since but it was a great car when he had it. Quick too, i had a standard mk5 GTi at the time and I wouldn't have seen where this went on a backroad. Underrated for sure.